With a condition like Neuro Muscular Myopathy, disability swimming was a perfect choice for me. It’s helped me stay active and keep my muscles from gradually weakening as a result of my condition, as well as being an outlet for my competitive side and allowing me to represent my country.
I’ve been privileged to have a great swimming career so far. With many great events and competitions on the list, being able to compete with my home country watching at the London Paralympic Games was just a brilliant experience.
I now have my sights firmly set on next years 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio. It’s been a challenging year with intense training, but I gave a great performance at the 2015 World Championships and now i’m feeling really good on the road to Rio!
My main achievements to date
- 2016: After all my hard work prior to the Rio 2016 Paralympics I was delighted to come away with 3 medals and two world records. I was really determined to emulate my success from previous achievements over the past 4 years and succeed in Rio. My medals include a Gold in the 400m Freestyle, a gold in the indv Medley and a silver in the 100m Backstroke. I was also delighted to achieve two world records in my Gold winning events. I am over the moon with how the games went and I'm sure my experience will spur me on to win more and more titles in the future!
- 2015: Almost a year on from the Commonwealth Games, I was back in the pool at Glasgow for the IPC World Championships. This was a key event as it sets the bar leading up to the 2016 Rio Paralympics. I had a great tournament and came away with gold for the 200m IM and 400 free and a bronze for the 100 back. I also broke my brothers world record for the 400 freestyle which he set at the Beijing 2008 games.
- 2014: I managed to secure the final title I was looking for that year, Commonwealth Champion, coming away with a gold in the 200m individual medley in Glasgow on 28 July 2014. I also brought home a gold medal earlier that year in the 200m Individual Medley at the British Championships, alongside a new World record for the 200m Freestyle at the Deutsche Meisterschaft swimming competition in Berlin.
- 2014: This year so far, I’ve managed to secure the final title I was looking for, Commonwealth Champion, as I won gold in the 200m individual medley in Glasgow on 28 July 2014. I also brought home a gold medal earlier this year in the 200m individual medley at the British Championships and I set a new World record for the 200m freestyle at the Deutsche Meisterschaft swimming competition in Berlin.
- 2013: I was awarded an MBE and a golden post box. I once again represented Great Britain but this time at the IPC World Championships in Montreal, Canada. Once again I won gold in the 200m individual medley and set another new British and European record. I also won gold in the 400m freestyle and bronze in the 100m backstroke, setting a new British record.
- 2012: I competed at the London Paralympics, my first Paralympic Game, and won a gold medal, setting a new British and European record in the 200m individual medley. I also took home a silver in the 400m freestyle and bronze in the 100m backstroke.
- 2011: I represented Great Britain for the first time at the IPC European Championships in Berlin, Germany. I won a gold medal and set a British and European Record in the 200m individual medley (back, breast, freestyle and fly 5om each). I also won silver in the 400m freestyle and bronze in the 100m backstroke.
|2015||4:24.32||400m Freestyle, long course||World record|
|2:22.40||200m Individual Medley, long course||European record|
|2014||2:08.71||200m Freestyle||World record|
|2013||2:22.76||200m Individual Medley, long course||European record|
|1:05.10||100m Backstroke, long course||British record|
|4:27.67||400m Freestyle, long course|
|2011||1:07.11||100m Butterfly, long course|
|1:01.70||100m Freestyle, long course|
Main international events
|Year||Competition||Event||Time||Medal / Position|
|2016||Rio 2016 Paralympic Games||Men's 400m Freestyle S8||4.21.89 (World Record)||Gold|
|Rio 2016 Paralympic Games||Men's 200m Individual Medley SM8||220.01 (World Record - Paralympic Record )||Gold|
|Rio 2016 Paralympic Games||Mens 100m Backstroke S8 Final||1.04.46||Silver|
|2015||IPC Wold Championships, Glasgow||200 Individual Medley||2:22.40||Gold|
|IPC Wold Championships, Glasgow||400 Freestyle||4:24.32||Gold|
|IPC Wold Championships, Glasgow||100 Backstroke||1:06.08||Bronze|
|2014||Commonwealth Games, Glasgow||200m Individual Medley||2:22.86||Gold|
|IPC European Championships, Eindhoven||200m Individual Medley||2:25.22||Gold|
|2013||IPC Wold Championships, Montreal||200m Individual Medley||2:22.76||Gold|
|2012||Paralympic Games, London||200m Individual Medley||2:24.63||Gold|
|2011||IPC European Championships, Berlin||200m Individual Medley||2:25.75||Gold|
Main domestic events
|Year||Competition||Event||Time||Medal / Position|
|2014||British Para-Swimming||200m Individual Medley||2:26.07||Silver|
|200m Individual Medley||2:26.49||Gold|
|2013||British International||400m Freestyle||4:30.65||Silver|
|British Championships||400m Freestyle||4:31.13||Bronze|
|Disability Championships||200m Individual Medley||2:26.40||4th|
|2012||British Championships||400m Freestyle||4:28.62||Silver|
|Disability Championships||200m Individual Medley||2:29.79||6th|
|2011||Disability Championships||400m Freestyle||4:37.79||8th|